Cathy Davidson – Changing Higher Education to Change the World
- on Oct 11, 2012
- at 10:00am–11:00am
- by Connected Learning Alliance
College was designed to prepare students for a 20th-century workplace and it’s not catching up fast enough to the realities of the modern world. How can we overhaul the entire system?
Cathy’s 8 Learning Principles for a Connected Age
- Embrace Connection, Not Technology
- Rethink liberal arts as a start-up curriculum for resilient global citizen
- Breach the silos
- Champion 21st century literacy: numeracy, reading, writing, WEBMAKING
- Make sure that what you value is what you count
- Don’t just flip the classroom…make it do cartwheels!
- Find creative ways to model un-learning.
- Take Institutional Change Personally
View the Conversation
During the broadcast, the conversation also took place on Twitter using the hashtag #connectedlearning.
Guests for this webinar included:
- Cathy Davidson (Guest Speaker): Cathy Davidson teaches at Duke University, where she co-directs the Ph.D. Lab in Digital Knowledge and holds two distinguished chairs: Ruth F. DeVarney Professor of English and the John Hope Franklin Humanities Institute Professor of Interdisciplinary Studies. She is a co-founder of the global learning network HASTAC, which administers the annual $2 million HASTAC/MacArthur Foundation Digital Media and Learning Competitions, and was recently appointed by President Obama to the National Council on the Humanities. Cathy is a frequent speaker and consultant on institutional change at universities, corporations, and non-profits around the world. In July 2012, she was named the first educator on the six-person Board of Directors of the Mozilla Foundation.
- Mimi Ito (Moderator)
- David Theo Goldberg
- Kyle Peck
- Luka Carfagna
Resources for this webinar:
- Abstracts of Cathy’s articles from her Fast Company series
- Now You See It: How Technology and Brain Science Will Transform Schools and Business for the 21st Century
- Cathy’s slide deck from this webinar, “8 Learning Principles for a Connected Age” [PDF]
- HASTAC.org: a 9,500+ member global learning network
- EcoMOBILE: Blended learning across virtual and natural ecosystem
- HASTAC.org: The Scoop on MOOCs
- Current/Future State of Education (MOOC)
- MIT Media Lab’s SCRATCH software: imagine, program, share
- Mozilla Webmaker Projects: make. learn. hack.
- Overview of Carroll University’s Cross-Cultural General Education curriculum
- edDefy: education designed for you
- Innovative Assessment Research and Tools Featured at Duke’s Wednesdays at the Center and New PhD Lab in Digital Knowledge
- The Flat Classroom Project: global collaborative project to create students who are competitive and globally-minded
- Surprise Endings: A Public Course Offering by Dan Ariely and Cathy Davidson on Social Science and Literature
Photos/ fastcoexist.com and Everett Collection/Shutterstock
#ConnectedLearning Discussion on Twitter