Cities of Learning – Los Angeles: Grow. Learn. Thrive.
- on May 23, 2014
- at 10:00 am–11:00 am
- by Connected Learning Alliance
What to look forward to during L.A.’s 2014 ‘Summer of Learning,’ and how the learning will extend beyond the summer.
From this Series:
- Part 1—Cities of Learning – Chicago: Connected City
- Part 3—Cities of Learning – Pittsburgh
- Part 4—Cities of Learning – Dallas
Guests for this webinar included:
- Dr. Victor Gonzalez is an administrator for the Los Angeles Unified School District. He has been an educator for over 20 years and has also served as a principal for the LAUSD Summer Virtual Academy. Victor currently serves as the President for the Association of California Schools Administrators-Region 16 and as a Library Commissioner for the City of Pasadena.
- Carla Casilli is the Director of Design + Practice at Badge Alliance. She leads badge system development and helps other folks develop them, communicating experiences about badges and badge systems, and investigating where badge systems might lead.
- Jonathan Worth is a freelance commercial photographer who has shot numerous celebrities and whose work is on permanent collection at the UK’s National Portrait Gallery. Four years ago, he opened his Coventry University photography class to the world via a WordPress blog, Twitter, and now an app: PHONAR. He is dealing directly with changing business models, both in photography and education, and the role of the photographer as a publisher.
- Celia Avila is a Young Adult Librarian at the Junipero Serra branch of the Los Angeles Public Library, which is running a couple L.A. Summer of Learning programs this summer revolving around the programming language Scratch and the digital photography community PhonarNation.
Resources for this webinar:
- Los Angeles Times Op-Ed: “Turning the city of L.A. into a classroom”
- Los Angeles Times: “Mayor, L.A. Unified announce citywide summer learning program”
- LASchoolReport.com: “City, LAUSD announce an LA-wide summer learning program”
- Official L.A. Summer of Learning website
- L.A. Summer of Learning on Facebook
- L.A. Summer of Learning on Twitter
- City of Los Angeles Economic and Workforce Development Department
- The Badge Alliance
- L.A. Unified School District: ‘Beyond the Bell’ Branch
#ConnectedLearning Discussion on Twitter