Engaging Teens as Changemakers: A KidsTales.org Case Study
- on Feb 7, 2017
- at 04:00 pm –0:500 pm
- by Liana Gamber-Thompson
How can you engage teens to be Changemakers? KidsTales.org, a nonprofit founded by a kid for kids, presents their changemaking story and explores how to create, engage, and sustain teen changemakers. Kidstales.org brings creative writing workshops, taught by teen instructors, to 8 to 12 year old kids that do not have access to writing experiences outside of school. During a Kids Tales workshop, kids spend a week creating their very own short story. At the end of the week, the stories are assembled in a collection and self-published as a real, physical anthology. This past summer Kids Tales taught workshops in five countries, serving 400 kids and engaging 100 teen writing instructors.
Participants for this Webinar Include:
- Kevin Hodgson (host), teaches 6th grade at the William E. Norris Elementary School in Southampton, MA and is the Outreach Co-Director with the Western Massachusetts Writing Project. He is active on Twitter and blogs at Kevin’s Meandering Mind.
- Katie Eder, founded Kids Tales, a non-profit that runs creative writing workshops for kids 8-12. At 16, she is the Executive Director of the organization and the recipient of a number of other honors, including being named an International Literacy Association 30 Under 30 Literacy Champion.
- Charlene Doland, advances PBL (project-based learning) through practice in Chicago suburbs, teaching history and language arts to teens. Active in connected learning and project-based learning spaces and blogs at Reflections, Ruminations, and Renderings.
- Shreya Reddy, and Morgan Kerfeld, both members of the Kids Tales Executive Board. Kids Tales Executive board is made up of teenagers who run the day to day operations and oversee growth and expansion plans.
- Chris Scazzero, Kids Tales Executive Board Member, and head of their Regional Ambassador Program. Chris has been working with Kids Tales for about a year and has helped them expand all over the country.
Resources for this webinar:
- Kids Tales
- Kids Tales Student Writers Author Page at Amazon
- Kevin Hodgson’s Blog – Kevin’s Meandering Mind
Photo/ Kids Tales