Thinking Across Civic Education Work
- on Mar 31, 2016
- at 4:00 pm –5:00 pm
- by Liana Gamber-Thompson
Watch a discussion with educators and researchers from Educating for Participatory Politics (EPP) and the Council of Youth Research on the similarities of their experiences, as well as distinctions between the projects. They shared ideas about what civic educators and researchers in a range of settings can learn from each other.
This hangout was the fourth and final in a 4-part series, “Youth-Led Inquiry, Connection, and Action: Redesigning Civic Education for the Digital Age,” organized by Educating for Participatory Politics and the Council of Youth Research. The series was co-streamed at connectedlearning.tv.
View the Conversation
Guests for this webinar included:
- Erica Hodgin (host), Associate Director of the Civic Engagement Research Group at Mills College and the Research Director of the Educating for Participatory Politics project, which includes four teams in three different cities exploring ways to redesign civic education for the digital age.
- Nicole Mirra (host) – Assistant Professor of English Education at The University of Texas at El Paso. She earned her Ph.D. in Urban Schooling from the UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies, is a former high school Language Arts teacher, and coordinator of UCLA Council of Youth Research.
- Perry Bellow-Handelman, Social studies teacher and the Social Justice Pathway lead at Coliseum College Prep Academy (CCPA) in Oakland, CA.
- Eddie Lopez, History Teacher at Theodore Roosevelt High School in Los Angeles, CA.
- John Rogers, Associate professor of Urban Schooling in the UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies and Director of the UCLA Institute for Democracy, Education, and Access (IDEA).
Resources for this webinar:
- Educating for Participatory Politics—Resources
- Redesigning Civic Education for the Digital Age: Participatory Politics and the Pursuit of Democratic Engagement by Joseph Kahne, Erica Hodgin, and Elyse Eidman-Aadahl
- Council of Youth Research
- Doing Youth Participatory Action Research: Transforming Inquiry with Researchers, Educators, and Students by Nicole Mirra, Antero Garcia, and Ernest Morrell
- Educating the “Good” Citizen: Political Choices and Pedagogical Goals by Joel Westheimer and Joseph Kahne (mentioned in hangout)
- Social Justice Learning Institute (mentioned in hangout)
- Homeboy Industries (mentioned in hangout)
#ConnectedLearning Discussion on Twitter