The course is free, online, and open to anyone who wants to participate. It is peer-powered by P2PU. You can follow the five-week curriculum starting on February 23 or join in later if you want to go at your own pace. This course has been created to reach both those who are new to littleBits, as well as those with some experience. At the end you will graduate with exclusive bitSTAR status, joining the leaders league of the P2PU community and unlocking a 20% discount.
The P2PU Learning Philosophy
- Interest-driven. You’ll work on projects of your choice that pique your curiosity. No dry videos, no quizzes.
- Open and participatory. Anyone can join, anyone can contribute, and a safe space is provided so anyone can speak.
- Community-powered. Everyone’s in it together, teaching and learning at the same time.
- Playful. P2PU believes that you’ll learn best when you are having fun.
What Will You Learn?
- Design thinking: how to imagine, sketch, and implement your ideas for littleBits projects
- Creative learning: an approach to education that is hands-on, playful, and community-driven
- Event design: how to craft activities that rule and build an audience
- Technology literacy: learn how hardware works and how it connects to the world around us.
- Community management: recruit your local crew, motivate others to join, delight your community with activities, events, and support.
How Does It Work?
- CHOOSE A TRACKYou can think of tracks like departments in a school. It’s where you can pursue your passions and find your crew. For this course P2PU has handpicked the following tracks:
- DISCUSS IN THE FORUMSMuch of the activity is designed to encourage peer-to-peer learning and takes place in the P2PU online discussion forum. If you haven’t used a forum before, do not fret, when you sign up for the course you will be guided through every step.
- MEET IN REAL TIMEHangout with other bitsters during our weekly community calls every Wednesday for real-time networking and support. Each week we will also have special guests joining us for a fireside chat!
- JOIN A GLOBAL MAKE-A-THONGo beyond making and teach others in your local community how to #InventAnything. At the end of the course, you’ll create your own playful event using littleBits, whether in your backyard or at your local makerspace. To celebrate, P2PU will host a global make-a-thon with everyone who took the course.
- UNLOCK BITSTAR STATUSUpon graduating from the course, you will be able to apply for exclusive bitSTAR status, which includes a fancy badge on your littleBits profile and a 20% discount on your next purchase.*
How Do I Get Started?
- Sign up to receive important reminders and weekly assignments when the course starts, Feb 23, 2015.
- Come introduce yourself in the forums; everyone’s friendly.
- Can’t wait until February 23? Browse the tracks, accept a design challenge, and start inventing!
What to Expect?
- During the course, you will make at least two new projects from scratch.
- You will be invited to a weekly Community Call where you will get to work in small teams with other “bitsters” from around the world.
- We offer two different times for the calls (noon EST and 7 p.m. EST, every Wednesday) to accommodate different timezones.
- The course will culminate in a global make-a-thon with everyone who took the course, the weekend of March 28.
- All along the way, you’ll have support on the active forums from littleBits staff and other bitsters like you!
What’s the Workload?
- You can expect to spend about 5 hours/week on projects, ideas, and makery.
- 2-3 hours of solo time
- 1-2 hours teaming up with others
Got a Question?
Ask in the forums under the “Welcome” category!
*This discount is valid for a one-time purchase on the littleBits website, up to $1000, and cannot be added to existing offers, such as the education discount or online promotions. The 20% discount is available upon graduation. Valid one time only. Excludes Pro Library. Not valid with other promotions.
By Rebecca Kahn
Original Post/ P2PU