March 27, 2015
Maker Education Initiative
The Maker Education Initiative invites you to apply to become a Maker Corps Member. Maker Corps Members are maker-in-residences at their Host Site, and Host Sites represent an inclusive spectrum of youth-serving organizations and programs with ten museums, eight libraries, eight schools and school districts, four science centers, several after-school and community-based programs, a summer camp, a university, and a creative re-use center. And because Maker Ed recognizes and encourages a wide variety of making, every Host Site is unique in their program offerings and audience. Read more about the 2015 Maker Corps Host Sites.
Who can apply?
Maker Corps Members come from a large variety of backgrounds and levels of experience. Ideal Maker Corps Members possess:
- Interest in creativity, DIY art and science projects, and making things.
- Passion for educating.
- Ability to engage effectively with children, adults, and Host Site staff.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and presentation skills.
- Awareness and sensitivity in interacting with diverse populations.
Curious about past Maker Corps Members? Check out the ongoing profile series, Meet a Maker, featuring past and current Maker Corps Members.
- 50% of a Maker Corps Member’s time must be dedicated to direct service—engaging children and families in creative making opportunities, while gaining experience serving as a community leader. Maker Corps Members will also spend a portion of their time as makers-in-residence, focused on developing ideas and programs for their Host Site.
- Maker Corps Members are required to participate in Maker Ed’s online training series. Maker Corps Members are also expected to contribute (stories, photos, reflections, etc.) to the online Maker Corps 2015 Community.
- Applicants must live, or be willing to relocate to, a community hosting a Maker Corps program. Note that the Maker Ed will not cover any additional moving and/or housing expenses. However, some Host Sites may provide assistance. Please inquire specifically about these needs in your application.
Submit your application today!
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Original Post/ Maker Ed