June 21, 2016
04:00 pm - 05:00 pm PDT
Join members of the College-Ready Writers Program (CRWP) leadership team for a discussion of how CRWP materials and principles encourage students to treat opposing views with respect and generosity. Students who write from CRWP materials start with an inquiry stance towards an issue and revisit their opinion in light of multiple, often opposing points of view. Such experiences for students are designed to create a classroom culture that values civil discourse and supports students in becoming effective participants in civic communities.
This hangout was produced in support of Letters to the Next President 2.0, a project engaging youth in civic participation in issues and topic that matter to them in the US Presidential Election. It was also co-streamed at connectedlearning.tv.
View the Conversation
During the broadcast, the conversation also took place on Twitter using the hashtags #2nextprez.
Participants for this webinar included:
- Rachel Bear (host), National Writing Project
- Tom Fox, National Writing Project
- Linda Denstaedt, Oakland Writing Project in Michigan, CRWP Leadership Team
- Casey Olsen, Montana Writing Project, CRWP Leadership Team
Resources for this webinar:
- College-Ready Writers Program
- Letters to the Next President 2.0
- CRWP L2P 2.0 Mini Unit on “Finding a Topic”
- CRWP Resource on Extended Research Arguments (mentioned in hangout)
- L2P 2.0 Summer Make Cycle #3: Building an Argument
- L2P 2.0 Summer Make Cycles for Educators
- National Speech and Debate Association
Photo/ Charlie Leight, ASU News
Add Event to Calendar