November 06, 2018
04:00 pm - 05:00 pm:00 pm PST
In this broadcast, Writing Project colleagues Janelle Bence, Dawn Reed and Suzanne Sutton share student work created as part of the Writing Our Future: American Creed project and prepare for a workshop at the NCTE 2018 Conference in Houston. Join us to hear from the teachers, and students, and think with us about the possibilities of supporting youth in exploring their American identities and communities.
- Janelle Bence, New Tech High @ Coppell, Coppell, Texas
- Dawn Reed, Okemos High School, Okemos, Michigan
- Suzanne Sutton, Classen School, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Links from the Show
- American Creed
- Writing Our Future: American Creed Youth Publishing Site
- Digital Stories: What does it mean to be American?
- The Patriot by Isabella Zeff
- See the full lesson:
- Featured as part of Preparing Youth for Civics and Politics in the Digital Age
- “This I Believe” essay
- “I Believe in Acceptance” by Jahaan S. (audio)
- Lesson resources are on the Writing Our Future’s website under “Visit Our Classrooms”
At NCTE 2018
Writing Our Futures: Youth Public Writing and American Creed
Friday, November 16, 2018 3:30-4:45 p.m.
Location: 381 B
Add Event to Calendar