August 05, 2015
11:30 am - 12:30 pm PDT
Webinar Focus: How do you create classrooms in which students develop their voice and sense of agency?
Creating upstanders starts with giving students the space and opportunity to reflect on their own thinking, to develop a sense of their self, and to start to practice engaging with others. How can teachers do that from day one in their classroom?
In partnership with CLTV, Educator Innovator shared this month’s webinars as part of an August 2015 series titled “Creating Student Upstanders in Today’s World,” which is organized by Facing History and Ourselves.
For more info about this series, visit CLTV.
Learn more about Facing History and Ourselves.
Guests for this webinar included:
- Mary Hendra (host)-leads the Los Angeles program team for Facing History and Ourselves, conducting workshops, seminars, teacher coaching and in-depth school work. She also guides California state-wide efforts in piloting innovations and increasing access to Facing History resources.
- Dennis J. Barr, Ed.D.-is the Director of Evaluation at Facing History and Ourselvesand an Adjunct Lecturer on Education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. He has been the principal investigator on a number of large-scale evaluation studies that have also included basic research questions about teacher and student growth.
- Doc Miller -serves as the Senior Associate for Staff Development at Facing History and Ourselves. He was a middle school social studies teacher for 36 years, mostly 8th grade, in both urban and suburban schools. He has specifically written and trained around creating a safe and reflective classroom environment.
- Stephanie Carillo -is the Director of Diversity and a history teacher at Campbell Hall, an independent school in Southern California, and is a member of the LA Facing History Teacher Leadership Team.
Resources for this webinar:
- Doc Miller – Creating a Reflective Classroom Community
- Mary Hendra Blog Posts at Facing History LA Network
- Dennis Barr on Bullying and Ostracism
- Bullying and Ostracism Resource Collection
- Doc Miller discussing an 8th grade class he taught on Society and the Individual
- Stephanie Carillo Blog Posts at Facing History LA Network
- Stephanie Carillo – 5 Ways to Create a Safe Classroom Space
- Contracting Strategy
- Journaling Strategy
- Blog Posts on Creating Safe Schools in Southern California
- Facing History on Twitter
- Facing History LA on Twitter
- Facing History blog posts related to this series on CLTV
Add Event to Calendar