March 14, 2013
6:45 am - 8:45 am PST
Keynote Address Beyond “The Crisis in Civics”by Ethan Zuckerman – 9-10:30am Central Time (10-11:30am Eastern Time)
In the opening talk of DML2013, Ethan addresses the argument that civics is “in crisis,” helps us think about what the future of civics might look like, and introduces us to an easy-to-understand framework of what makes for ‘good’ civic engagement.
From this Series:
- Part 1—Craig Watkins – Democratic Futures: Mobilizing Voices, and Remixing Youth Participation
- Part 3—Live from DML2013: Ignite Talks, Round One
- Part 4—Live from DML2013: Remixing Citizenship, Remaking Democracy
- Part 5—Live from DML2013: Youth, Pop Culture, and Participatory Politics
- Part 6—Live from DML2013: Ignite Talks, Round Two
Guests for this webinar included:
- Ethan Zuckerman is director of the Center for Civic Media at MIT, and a principal research scientist at MIT’s Media Lab. His research focuses on the distribution of attention in mainstream and new media, the use of technology for international development, and the use of new media technologies by activists. With Rebecca MacKinnon, Ethan co-founded international blogging community Global Voices. Through Global Voices and through the Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University, where he served as a researcher and fellow for eight years, Ethan is active in efforts to promote freedom of expression and fight censorship in online spaces. You can follow his thoughts atEthanZuckerman.com and on Twitter at @EthanZ.
Resources for this webinar:
To view ignite talks from last year’s DML Conference, click here.
Add Event to Calendar