July 12, 2016
04:00 - 05:00 PDT
View this conversation about how to use your mobile phone to tell stories and write a video “letter” to the next President. Learn storytelling, production, and distribution techniques to explore the possibilities of using readily available tools and to reach a broad audience—the power is in your own hands! Participants from the Bay Area Video Coalition (BAVC) and Fusion, along with educators and student guests, discussed their experiences creating videos to tell stories and voice their opinions.
This hangout was produced in support of Letters to the Next President 2.0, a project engaging youth in civic participation on issues and topics that matter to them in the US Presidential Election. It was also co-streamed at connectedlearning.tv.
View the Conversation
During the broadcast, the conversation also took place on Twitter using the hashtag #2nextprez.
Participants for this Webinar Included:
- Ingrid Dahl (host), Managing Director of KQED Education.
- Rebekah Dryden, Director of Elections Coverage for Fusion.
- Janelle Kung, Bay Area Video Coalition (BAVC) teen filmmaker.
- Chris Sloan, English and Media teacher at Judge Memorial High School in Salt Lake City, Utah. Teacher consultant with the National Writing Project and KQED Education.
- Annelise Wunderlich, Executive producer, Education at KQED.
- Diana Yip, Bay Area Video Coalition (BAVC) video instructor.
Resources for this webinar:
- Letters to the Next President 2.0
- L2P 2.0 Educator Make Cycles
- KQED Media Makes
- Bay Area Video Coalition (BAVC)
- #Dear Next President Examples:
- Rap submission from student at East Side Community High School in NYC
- Video from students/teachers in Des Moines, Iowa ahead of Fusion’s Brown & Black Presidential Forum
- Des Moines students
- Iowa high schoolers
- Compilation from a Virginia high school DECA group’s Women in Business summit
- Students from St. Mary’s Academy
- National Writing Project
- SmartPhone Video Shooting Tips
- Sample video by Janelle Kung
- Teaching the Art of Civil Dialogue by Chris Sloan
- Cameo video editor (mentioned in webinar)
Add Event to Calendar